Home School Link Worker (HSLW)
Working together to support children and families
Hello, my name is Mrs O’Mara, and I am the Home School Link Worker here at
Stepgates Community School.
I provide confidential support in school to our children in a number of ways and for a variety of reasons. I also provide confidential support for parents, carers and families.
During term time, I work in partnership with parents/carers, schools and other agencies to support families, aiming to reduce current issues and prevent future difficulties with the aim to ensure that all children enjoy school and are happy and secure.
It is extremely important to build a strong, trusting relationship with our school community so that everyone feels able to contribute to Stepgates success. Stepgates wants parents to participate in their child/ren’s education and feel able to discuss concerns before they become bigger issues which may impact on their child/ren’s education and attendance.
How can I help your family?
- I provide one to one support and advice, enabling parents and children to comfortably discuss concerns and worries in a safe and secure environment
- Therapeutic sessions with children and families
- Supporting families who may be going through a separation, divorce, bereavement and may signpost to other agencies
- Support groups for parents/carers with children with Autism and ADHD
- Parenting workshops, to encourage our community to work with each other in order to support our children’s needs
- Help with improving attendance and punctuality and also help with promoting positive behaviour
- Support children who are withdrawn or anxious
- Parents/carers experiencing difficulties in managing their child's behaviour
- Difficulties impacting on your family life (e.g.) illness, domestic violence, disability or financial difficulties
- Support young carers
- Liaising with outside agencies (e.g.) school nurse, Mindworks, health visitors, GP’s, children’s centres, social workers, foodbanks, citizens advice and charities
How do you contact the Home School Link Worker?
For more information or if you have a concern about your child and would like to speak with me, please email me on firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01932 563022.
What can you expect?
A referral form will be completed with you at the first appointment as your consent must be obtained before working with your family. If necessary, I will seek your permission to share the information with staff at the school or with other agencies.
Please note: Should a child protection issue be identified, I am legally bound to follow Stepgates Child Protection Policy.
Useful links to organisations offering family support
- Citizens Advice UK's largest advice-giving charity, providing trusted, quality assured, independent advice to the nation.
- Childline offer Calm Zone, supporting children through breathing exercises, activities, games and videos to help let go of stress.
- Family Lives is a charity with over three decades of experience helping parents with challenging family life.
- Family Voice Surrey supports families of children and young people with additional needs in Surrey.
- North Surrey Domestic Abuse Service offers confidential support.
- Place2Be: Parenting Smart: Articles the mental health charity Place2Be has a parenting section called ‘Parenting Smart’. Here you can find advice on many topics related to mental health, emotional support and common issues at home.
- Runnymede Foodbank, aiming to provide a lifeline for families experiencing financial hardship, who are desperately short of food.
- Surrey Adult Learning, free courses and workshops for parents, carers and grandparents to help you create a better family life.
- Surrey's Family Information Services provides information, advice and assistance for families with children.
- Surrey Young Carers, support for young people helping to care for someone in the family who has an illness, a disability, or is affected by mental ill-health or alcohol/substance misuse.
- Think U Know aims to protect children online, staying safe when you're on a phone, tablet or computer.